My Path to Bryn Mawr

Hello world! My name is Liz Marchini, and I am so excited to be Bryn Mawr’s newest Banter Blogger!

A couple of quick things about me: I’m from Ridgewood, New Jersey, a suburb of New York City. I’m a Political Science major and Global Asian Studies minor, and just a huge nerd overall. I love reading, listening to music (any KPop fans out there?), singing and performing, traveling and cooking! I also watch a lot of international TV – name a country, I’ve probably seen a show from it. Overall, I love to learn and experience as many new things as possible. I’m known as the friend who will disappear when a group of us go to a new place because I have gone exploring. I have a knack for discovering cute little shops and cafes down alleyways that others are afraid to go down. Those little adventures lead to lots of stories to tell! I’m excited to use this blog to show you my life on the Main Line, and how Bryn Mawr is shaping my life. I’ll be sure to include some great music recommendations along the way, as well.

Here’s me in Hachinohe, Japan, visiting the Kabushima Shrine! I wandered and ended up finding a spot by the sea to take a photo – my friends eventually found me. 

When trying to figure out what I wanted to write for my first blog post, I started to think about my time at Bryn Mawr and how I got here. And then all of a sudden, this past Friday, decisions for applicants were released. All of us on campus started buzzing with excitement – we are getting ready to welcome the Class of 2023, the Baby Green class! Once upon a time, I was a baby red. It seems like ages ago, but time has truly flown by.

My lantern night!

I was an Early Decision I applicant, which I still credit to being the best decision I have made in my life. When I was going through the college process, I was fortunate enough to have an guidance counselor who supported me in all of my endeavors and did not pressure me at all. When I sheepishly mentioned Bryn Mawr to Mrs. Giele thinking that she had never heard of it, she smiled and said that I should absolutely go visit to see if I liked it. “You would be a great fit at Bryn Mawr, Liz!” She said to me. “Check it out, and let me know what you think!” At this point, I had no clue what I really wanted from a college. Small campus? Maybe. This whole process to be over? Absolutely.

My very first visit to the college – I’m a junior in high school in this photo!

Bryn Mawr was the first college I visited. I visited on a rainy day, and I forgot to bring my umbrella. I was up early for the 10:00 a.m. info session and 10:45 a.m. tour, and I was nervous. How was I supposed to act on a college tour? Am I supposed to ask questions at every stop? Laugh at all the jokes? Take copious notes?

My tour guide was excellent and made me fall in love with Bryn Mawr. Before, I had not truly understood the value in a women’s college. After two hours of being on Bryn Mawr’s campus, I absolutely was on board. A place where people can pursue what they want without any obstacles or fears? Sign me up!

After this tour, and touring some other colleges, I made the decision that there was no other place for me but Bryn Mawr. A little over a year after my first tour, I applied Early Decision I to Bryn Mawr College. Two months later (which seemed like an eternity), I received the news that I had been accepted to my dream school.

So, to my lovely Baby Greens who are reading this, I am so excited to see you on campus soon. Bryn Mawr is ready to become your new home, and you’re going to make great (green) waves.